Pro Teacher Tips Lesson:
Level Up Metacognition. Be SPECIFIC.
Before the lesson:
- Download the BE SPECIFIC poster here. It'll serve as a helpful visual aid for students.
During the lesson:
- Teach students how to say SPECIFIC in sign language - have them practice saying and signing it together.
- Tell students that you're going to teach them a key to leveling up their metacognition (or thinking about thinking): being SPECIFIC.
- Model exploring a Quest on CoreAtlas.io - can be Math, ELA, Science, or even a Personal Quest.
- As you model posting your challenges, questions, or evidence, be VAGUE (eg: This is hard; I'll practice; I'll try harder).
- Invite students to take turns encouraging you with the phrase (and sign language!): BE SPECIFIC.
- Model posting again with specifics, including information about WHAT is hard, WHY it's hard, WHAT you'll try harder, HOW/WHEN you'll practice... etc.
- Challenge students to add posts in their CoreAtlas that are SPECIFIC - maybe add posts to a Quest they've already explored but were vague with, or start new Quests.
After the lesson:
- Give feedback to student posts in CoreAtlas.io - celebrate students that were specific in their thinking!